Mixed Media & Recycled Art
For California artists
Call for Art: “Transformations 2: Recycled and Up-cycled”
A Call for Mixed Media, Sculpture and Found object Assemblage based Artwork
The Sun Gallery will host an exhibition “Transformations 2: Recycled and Upcycled” from June 18 – August 1, 2015. An artist’s touch transforms materials and objects into artworks that are beautiful and imaginative. This exhibition will showcase works of art where the creative act has altered simple ideas and materials in a variety of ways including painting, collage, sculpture and found object assemblage.
We are calling for submissions of art for this exhibit. Artwork can be any media including, but not limited to, painting, sculpture, glass-work, ceramics, drawing, photography and assemblage. In particular the exhibition will focus on artworks that have been re-created (up-cycled!) from preexisting objects and images. Artwork will be juried for entry digitally or by photo at no cost to the artist. The deadline for consideration of your work is Sunday May 31st, 2015 (to be on the postcards)
Submission of Works:
You may email your contact information,including your email address and phone number, along with your jpeg images to the curator at firstname.lastname@example.org with Transformations in the subject line or by regular mail to 1015 E St., Hayward CA 94541-5210. JPEGs should be no larger than 8” in height and 300 dpi maximum. Please name your files as follows: firstinitial.lastname.title.jpg. If you are submitting via CD, please use the same criteria.
If you have any questions, please contact us by email: email@example.com
Artists will be notified on an ongoing basis if their art has been selected for this show. If your work is chosen to be part of the show you will be e-mailed a contract and an inventory list.
Important: The following are the guidelines and fees for the show:
- A fee of $65 will include a discounted Sun Gallery membership, invitations, and a hanging fee for up to 6 pieces not to exceed 24 sq. feet in wall area. You can pick up the invitations prior to the event at the gallery, or if you want them mailed to you, add another $5.00. If you are already a Sun Gallery member (2014 memberships have expired), the show fee will be $45. Please make your check payable to Sun Gallery. If you wish to pay by credit card you can come to the gallery or call during regular business hours.
- Artists must identify their work with a label attached to the front of the piece with: name, title of the art piece, medium, and price. All of this information must also be submitted on your inventory sheet. This info will be used for the wall labels. All wall mounted work must be wired and ready to hang, matted and framed or edges gallery wrapped and finished. No special installation requirements and no ceiling mounted works are eligible. We reserve the right to refuse accepted work that arrives damaged, is too fragile to be exhibited or was misrepresented in submission.
Once your work has been accepted:
- A one page artist statement or bio will be displayed in our artist bio book that is displayed in the show.
- Sun Gallery does not provide art insurance on your work. The Gallery will take every precaution to ensure the safety of your pieces, however, we cannot be held responsible for theft or damage to your work while on the gallery premises. Each artist, if they wish, may provide their own insurance.
- Sun Gallery will keep a 30% commission on any sale of artwork.
- No artwork will be removed from exhibition during the show.
- Out of Area Artists: Artists are responsible for their shipping costs for the show. Work should arrive between May 31 and June 6th, 2015. Should your work not sell, you will be responsible for the shipping costs for their return. Work should be shipped in a reusable carton/box or packing crate. No Styrofoam peanuts please! Please include a $20 check payable to Sun Gallery to cover the labor expense for un-crating, storage of crates, re-crating your painting and contracting a shipper for return. Please provide a paid UPS or FedEx return slip for your art and include your check and return slip in an envelope inside the crate with your artwork.
- Local Artists: Deliver un-crated, ready to hang or show, artwork to the Sun Gallery on the following dates: Saturday June 6, 11a.m. – 4 p.m. or Sunday June 7, 11a.m. – 4 p.m.
- An artists reception will be planned for Saturday, July 11, 2015, 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. The participating artists provide the food or drinks.
The Art of Climate Change project was successfully funded at Kickstarter on May 22, 2014 at : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211393631/the-art-of-climate-change
This website is a work in progress by Founder Dorsi Diaz of The Art of Climate Change. You can read in detail about the project at the above link on Kickstarter, the crowd-funding site that presented the project. There are lots of great events planned for the upcoming show including live Skyping sessions with Professor Paul Beckwith. The art show and exhibit will be at The Sun Gallery in Hayward, Ca. from June 19 – July 27, 2014 and will feature climate change art and science from around the globe.
Call for Art: A Volatile Terrain: The Art of Climate Change
Dates of Exhibition: June 19 – July 27th, 2014
First Date for Submission of Artwork: May 5th, 2014
Last Day for Submission of Artwork (for name to be included on invitation card), June 10th
Last Date for Submission of Artwork, June 15th
Reception for the Artists, June 28th 1:00pm – 5:00pm
In conjunction with an ongoing web and gallery based project “The Art of Climate Change,” initiated by Sun Educator Dorsi Diaz, www.theartofclimatechange.com, the Sun Gallery is thrilled to announce an open call for submissions of artworks that explore the idea of environmental issues, politics and agents for change.
Our environment, our planet, is in constant flux. At the most basic level the tectonic plates that form the crust of our continents are continually shifting. Layered upon that instability the actions of the animals (including us) have weathered, abraded and accumulated both wanted and unwanted residue. The stuff of life (and death), had begun to redefine topography and atmosphere.
This exhibition bears witness to this process and also to the idea that we, as a species, are required to initiate a process of healing to defend our Earth and leave it in better condition for future generations. Artwork submitted can be in any media (video and film are particularly encouraged for this exhibition).
Submission of Works:
Please email your contact information along with your jpeg images of your submissions. JPGs should be no larger than 8” in height and 300 dpi maximum. Please name your files as follows: firstinitial.lastname.title.
jpg. You may also submit via CD using the same format.
We need 300dpi images for press releases and postcards, so if you have digital images that size, please send them.
Please send us your photos, either by email firstname.lastname@example.org
, subject line: A Volatile Terrain: The Art of Climate Change or by regular mail to 1015 E St., Hayward CA 94541. If you have any questions, please contact us by email at email@example.com, attention: Jacqueline Cooper
• If you are a Sun Gallery member, the show fee will be $45. The fee includes a set of postcard invitations and a hanging fee for up to 6 pieces not to exceed 24 sq. feet in wall area. You can pick up the invitations prior to the event at the gallery, or if you want them mailed to you, please add another $5.00.
• The fee for non-members is $65, and includes all of the above, and membership from this exhibition onwards for the Calendar year 2014 Please make checks payable to Sun Gallery. We also accept Visa or Mastercard payments.
College and High School Entries: The Sun Gallery welcomes entries from both College and High School students. The entry fee will waived but only one entry per student, please.