An art lesson on endangered species: This one will be on the threatened Polar bear cubs.
How are polar bears affected by global warming?
Polar bears have evolved for a life on the sea ice, which they rely on for reaching their seal prey. But the Arctic sea ice is rapidly diminishing due to a warming Earth, affecting the entire arctic ecosystem, from copepods to seals to walruses. For polar bears, sea ice losses mean:
Some fast facts about what is happening to the Polar bears because of climate change:
- Reduced access to food
- Drop in body condition
- Lower cub survival rates
- Increase in drowning
- Increase in cannibalism
- Loss of access to denning areas
- Declining population size
Some questions to ask the kids:
1) Do you know what climate change means?
(explain then give the kids some fast facts about the plight of the Polar bear cubs)
2) What can you do to help the Polar bears survive?
3) What can we, the adults, do to help the Polar bear cubs survive?
Points to make:
1) We can help by sharing with our parents, grandparents and friends about the Polar bears
2) We can help by doing art on “endangered species” and sharing it with our friends and family
3) We can help by doing our part to be good stewards of the Earth (re-cycle, walk instead of drive, don’t litter, don’t waste our resources like water and electricity)